RE: Arvind's quote

I thought the basic message of Vivekanand that Arvind posted was very
clear: Indians tend to be ethno-centric. (Not saying that Indians
alone exhibit ethnocentricity).  Vivekananda wanted Indians to learn
from the West, in matters of city planning, waste disposal and general
everyday living. Vivekananda did not quite put it in those terms.  But
if you see what impressed him most was the general cleanliness and
organization of the Western society.   When Vivekananda landed in
Chicago in 1894(?) the city streets had electric lights, underground
sewage and drainage system , and tap water in homes.  This was at a
time when even the best cities in India did not have all those things.
 Our struggle is still continuing to this day.

Kush.