Tackling Corruption

I think Sanjeev's idea for corruption having a
seperate section is an excellent idea. This will
help us to focus more on other issues. Right now,
topics which deserve more attention do not get
enough of it as the corruption issue always
overshadows other issues.
On the issue of corruption, I feel the following
steps should be taken.

* Politicians to be probed only by special courts.
  These courts should not handle other cases. Such
  courts must be treated equal to the High court.
  In case the case goes to Supreme court for appeal,
  once again a special judge who handles only
  cases regarding sitting politicians must be
  appointed. This will ensure speedy deliverance of
  justice.

* The judge probing Dr.Jayalalitha, Justice Liberhans
  was appointed Chief Justice of HP high court.
  I can imagine why. A code to deal with such
  situations should be evolved so that the cases
  should not be affected just because a judge is
  transferred.

* Once convicted, he or she should not be allowed
  to contest another election. The ban of 6 years
  proposed now is a disgrace. The ban must be
  for life.

* When I used the phrase "repressive measures", I
  did not mean that politicians should take the
  law into their hands. All I meant is that the law
  to deal with corruption should be made stronger
  and the punishment should be harsh once convicted.
  For example, rowdyism in the parliament as witnessed
  during the women's reservation bill should invoke
  an automatic disqualification.

* I've always wondered what happens once the CAG
  indicts the politicians. Nothing comes out of the
  issue. A Parliamentary Affairs committee is set up
  to whitewash the crime. Once the CAG indicts
  someone, it should be mandatory to file a case and
  submit the evidence.

* As for the crime at the lower level, the first
  step should be to eliminate corruption in places
  where there is a direct interaction with people,
  viz., ration shops, passport office, tax office,
  customs, RTO, police, corporation etc. This cannot
  be done simultaneously. That will only result in
  confusion. If tackled one after another, say, one
  department every 2 months, I am confident that
  corruption at the lower level can be removed.
  (On a different note, the departments that need to
  be computerised first are also the ones which
  interact with the people directly)
  In case of legislators, no confusion will arise
  as the total number of legislators is just a few
  thousands and it is easy to make them fall in
  line.

* Once the top level and low level corruption is
  tackled, there will be pressure on the middle level
  corruption to disappear.

* Along with these steps, law in india itself needs to
  be revamped completely. There are many outdated laws.
  For example, you will be allowed to adopt a child
  depending on your religion, sex of the child, sex
  of the biological children you already have and
  previous adoptions. These restrictions have prevented
  many children from living in a family despite poeple
  willing to adopt them. Like everything else, the
  legal system in india is in a sad state.

* The number of judges in all courts need to be
  increased. 75 supreme court judges for 100 crore
  poeple should be okay.

Hopefully, this will be my last mail on the issue
of corruption. And since I'm at the topic, I certainly
think that what PV Narasimha Rao did to get the JMM
votes was not lobbying but corruption.

Finally, I suggest that "Making India the least
corrupt country in the world in 2 years time"
should be part of our manifesto. This is not at all
difficult to achieve.

-Arvind